June 11, 2014

What am I passionate about?

This question was posed to me about a month ago during an online application I was filling out, and as always, I strive to provide the most honest and true response that I can. 

However, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I had to stop the application and walk away.  I was hoping that if I gave it a few hours, or went about and did something else for a bit, that perhaps later on something prevalant would come to me.

Well, as I stated in my first sentence here, it's been about a month....and I can't think of one darn thing I am actually passionate about.

I mean, I have a lot of likes and interests...but passions?

From Merriam-Webster:

pas·sion

: a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something
: a strong feeling (such as anger) that causes you to act in a dangerous way
: a strong sexual or romantic feeling for someone
 
In the context of the question posed to me, it wasn't about sexuality, but probably more along the lines of a hobby or interest that I could engage in by myself or with someone else that I would find pleasurable and/or excited.
 
But many of the things I really enjoy are outside the socially accepted norm for someone my age.  I enjoy comic books, video games, science fiction, detective and war novels, and model building...but I'm not sure that is understanding to a lot of people, especially for a guy in his mid-forties.
 
I like barbeques, brewing my own beer, making my own sausage, and gourmet cooking (especially my own).  I love tex-mex, spicy food, good sushi, and anything chipotle.  I enjoy classic crooners, old skool rap, jazz, and modern electronica/dance.  I love my dog, working out at the gym, road trips with my friends, and various artistic endeavors.  I like collecting things, good strategy games, politics, and cliffhangers.
 
I love the Lord, my parents, my good friends, romance, 'true love', and more.
 
I could go on and on.
 
But am I passionate to any of these?
 
I honestly don't know.  I have various degrees of excitement that seem to ebb and flow with each of these on a day to day basis, but I can't really pick one that tops all others.
 
Again, in the context of the original question, it simply asked "What are you passionate about?", assuming someone wants to get to know you better.
 
And yet, here I sit, stymied.  Do I have enough passion to muster for just 'one' things, or do I suffer from my own brand of ADHD, in which I have mild passion for numerous things.  It's like going to a restaraunt and have a menu 50 pages long with 100 entries on each page...while you are hungry...and everything is made from a 5 star chef...and it could possibly be your very last meal?  I simply can't choose.
 
Is that an acceptable answer?  Can I answer by not committing to one thing, but to a dozen or more?

No comments: