February 26, 2013

New counsel

This morning was a legal date for our lawyers coalled the "Trial Setting Conference".  I could be wrong, but my best understanding is that both my lawyer and opposing counsel stand before the judge and claim that both sides can't work it out on their own.

Namely my settlement offer was rejected by my wife, and her rebuttle is rejected by me...at least on paper.  So hearing that the judge tells both lawyers that the next step is that we will all meet in person at some future date (I'm assuming a few weeks or so) and hash it out as one last ditch effort before it goes to trial.

My lawyer seems to be confident that 90% of all cases are settled here as neither party wants to go to court and spend the money.  I would agree, but since my wife seems to be somewhat irrational and stubborn, it will not surprise me (and to the detriment of both our pocketbooks) if she digs in and tries to "get even" in return for my rejection of her claiming to want to work it out.

She supposedly had an interview two weeks ago.  Doing what and where, I have no idea, but her part time job isn't cutting it.  That would explain why, out of nowhere, my cell phone was hammered the last 2 days with increasingly hostile text messages (all of which I ignored) for the receipt of the ring I bought her 9.5 years ago.  It seems everyones best guess is that she wants, or needs, to sell it.  I understand that, but I'll also admit it saddens me.  It was a nice ring.  I spent a lot of time picking it out and still remember the day I gave it to her in front of her parents and mine.

Even if she gave it back to me, I could never give it to someone else.  Too many memories.

But the idea that she is demanding that I cough up the receipt magically after almost ten years in silly.  Do you keep every receipt?  And why is it she expects me to jump through hoops locating and giving it to her 'now'.  When I ask for something, she gets around to it whenever she feels like it, and I'm supposed to jump because she asked me to?  Not gonna happen.

Anyway, I have a call in to a new CPA to do the taxes.  It is not determined if my ex will cooperate or not.  Part of me says 'no', because she's mad I'm not jumping at her every command these days, part of me says 'yes' because this is yet another thing I would pay for and one less thing she'd have to take care of herself.  So I have no idea.

Finally, I meet with a new counsler today.  A faith based one.  One who doesn't know me, doesn't know one iota of our story.  But I feel the continuing need and desire to have someone address some of my 'spiritual' hangups as of late.  There is a certain level of guilt, shame, failure, anger, and forgiveness I have yet to come to terms with.  Feelings that wake me up early in the morning, that paralyze me from moving forward at times, that still make me want to crawl into a fetal position at times.  But I can tell you I've been off my medication now for at least 2 months.  I did have a minor anxiety episode yesterday based on the knoweldge of today's events and the deluge of text messages she's been sending me, but I haven't caved yet.

No comments: