July 06, 2012

Afternoon meditation

David Byrne of Talking Heads fame
This afternoon continues to be quiet, both in my work, and in my spirit.

I am consciously trying to slow my thinking down, clear my mind, toss away the garbage.

I'm also listening to the Talking Heads on Pandora.  David Byrne's voice and lyrics can be both hypnotic and mesmerizing depending on the song.  If you get a chance, just give "The Lady Don't Mind" a chance.  It's a strange little ditty.

I remember seeing a concert of their's back around 1989 or 1990.  What a trip that was.  And how could anyone forget the video and song "Burning Down the House"?

Some lines I came across in my devotionals today:
  • Many voices clamor for your attention, trying to divert you to another path.  But I have called you to walk ever so closely with Me.
  • I have called each of My children to a different path, distinctly designed for that one.  Do not let anyone convince you that his path is the only right way.
  • Since I am invisible, you must not let your senses dominate your thinking.
  • The curse of this age is overstimulation of the senses, which blocks out awareness of the unseen world.
  • The goal is to be aware of unseen things even as you live out your life in the visible world.
Take any one of these statements for a spin in your head for a minute or so.  Sometimes many of these apply tome (perhaps you) all at once.  Myself, I am really trying to tune into those things unseen...the ebbs and flows, the way situations swing, and not directly or indirectly fight them, but to be aware and make my decsions based upon them.  Not sure if that makes sense or not, but it's like taking a deep breath in and slowly breathing back out, eyes closed and try to become centered to my surroundings.

So enevitably, the weekend is upon me again and I have no idea what I want to do.  It's funny, because this week was so slow at work that I couldn't wait for it to be over but now that Friday afternoon is here, I'm at a standstill on what I want to do this weekend.  Yea, there's the boring chores I always seem to talk about, but I feel like I want to do to something memorable, but what, I do not know.  Take a drive to a new town with my dog?  Try a new dive bbq joint I've never been to?  Pack more stuff at the house?  I dunno.

I feel like I need to organize something to.  But what?  And for whom?  For me?

I think my wife drives to her facility tomorrow. Or maybe it's next week, the 13th.  I dunno anymore.

I have an option to drive out of town in two weeks for a few days off...though unsure if I am going to follow through with that or not.  6 hour drive to hang out with a friend for 1.5 days, just to drive back?  I really need it, but I just dunno.

No comments: