April 10, 2012

Surprise....daughter is moving today and wife is headed for another party.

Three developments today:

1 - I meet with the lawyer this Friday (taking day off of work) and start moving ahead by getting paperwork started.

2 - I learned that my wife is driving down another 4 hours this Thursday (a work day for everyone) to be at yet another mutual friends b-day party at a local watering hole. Dammit....Now I have to miss this one too, and this pisses me off all over again.
A) Apparently my wife still has no job if she can drive down for another party Thursday and turn around Friday (?)
B) She also apparently has money for gas to drive 325+ miles one way, 325+ miles back, plus I'm sure she'll drink. Yet, I still haven't seen any money from her.

3 - And only because this news alerted me that my wife will be in town (5 miles away from 'my' house) on Thursday, I became concerned that she'd try and get into the house by convincing my daughter to let her in. So I called my daughter up, and SURPRISE, she is moving today and my in-laws are there at my house now packing her up. I had no idea. I was under the impression it may be Wed, but most likely Thursday. My inlaws are going to leave 'my' key for me in a secret spot tonight that I will recover when I get home.

I spoke to my inlaws on the phone. My MIL once again told me to divorce her daughter. I guess they exchanged text messages on Easter, and it wasn't pleasant.

I spoke to my FIL today for the first time in a few weeks. He told me he loved me, and was sorry, and I also apologized to him. Told him I never expected any of this to come to this, and he told me not to worry. I love them so much. I could not have asked for better inlaws, which makes this even more hard....but it has to be done.

Anonymous - You asked in your comment why my SIL is so gung-ho about divorce. The best answer I can give is that despite she may be a little pushy for my tastes, I am not, and maybe I need a swift kick in the arse to jump start things. My SIL is indeed concerened and loves her sister and me. So much so in fact I think she's pushing this because:


  1. She knows her sister is self-destructive, in denial, and sick and is worried that these continued behaviors will not end well, either by my wife getting a DUI, hurting someone, or herself and doesn't want to see that happen.

  2. She knows that I have been miserable and hurting for quite sometime and honestly tells me I deserve someone who appreciates me and what I have to offer because her sister clearly does not.

  3. She's appalled that despite all of our collective efforts over the past couple of months, the intervention went poorly and her sister is thumbing her nose at everyone and seemingly getting away with her cake and eating it too while she has left a path of destruction in her wake.

  4. She thinks that only by getting divorce papers will my wife realize that I'm no longer a pushover, safety net, weak-willed man that can be manipulated anylonger and this will send a strong signal that she 'screwed up'.

That is at least what I get in summation with my talks with her over the past few months. Yes, my SIL has been married 3 times, but this last one (going on 10 years now) has completely changed her. She's a much more family orientated person these days, found God herself, but still has that 'Alpha' personality. In my heart, I know she means well and is looking out for my best interests as well (she says her sister is a 'lost cause'), but she can be pretty dominant...a trait I am not used to or don't have in myself.


This mornings earlier "venting" on my behalf was out fo frustration that within 24 hours everyone was coming at me and I was just trying to get through the day minding my own business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a good sense of your various family members intentions where the advice is concerned, and that's what counts. Sorry if it sounded harsh...

I guess the bottom line is my relationship with my in-laws is quite different. I have a wonderful sister-in-law, but if she started to tell me to divorce I'd be really blown away and wonder why she was being so involved... My MIL/FIL are both deceased, but honestly, I would much rather have them here... things aren't quite as balanced without them.

Sounds like you need to have some friends over for a BBQ or guys night on Thursday, as you were looking forward to a gathering then, and good company just might be what you need.