March 22, 2012

Lunch with my MIL

Everything is starting to seem 'finalized' by one degree or another, and a lot of it seems to be out of my control. I mean, I ultimately have the last word I suppose, but it seems as if my in-laws, my own parents, and a few others just "feel" it is inevitable that my wife and I are about to go our seperate ways.

My MIL was very tender with me yesterday, telling me numerous times I deserve to be happy, that she was sorry for the way her daughter is behaving, and that I need to stop beating myself up.

The last part is easier said than done, so I suppose it's a good thing that I am indeed going to meet with a therapist next Tuesday. This time it's a guy which will be a new experience for me, but it's really humbling to hear from multiple people now that they think I need a dedicated one-on-one therapist. I guess I'm not as good as hiding my emotions or mental state than I once was.

My MIL also shared that a girlfriend of my wifes called her and her husband (my FIL) last week to also offer up (unsolicted by me or anyone else that I am aware of) concerns that she and other girlfriends thought my wife was abusing alcohol and had been for some time. Even though my MIL appreciated the validation, she said she wished her friends would have ponied up sooner as she and my FIL didn't realize just how bad things were.

I suppose better late than never, but still, a little extra evidence earlier on would have really helped my FIL come to grips with the situation.

I'll admit, a few things my MIL said made me cry. It was a good thing we were at an outside table, and the furthest away from anyone else so I wouldn't be too embarassed. She again said I will always be her son-in-law, that she loves me, that she knows I am a good person and is sorry to see me so hurt. She also said my FIL and her are okay with me filing for divorce.

*sigh*

Even though they gave me 'permission' in a sense, it was hearing it out loud that it sunk in they think our marriage is a lost cause and want me to move on. That made me lose it. It was very hard to go back to work after that and concentrate.

I came home alone last night, no pizza with my daughter after all, she had to work until 9:45. I steamed a filet of fish in the microwave and sat on the couch, petting my dog.

I see the lawyer today at 3pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, the die has been cast... Things are in motion and one way or another, change is inevitable.

Your family is releasing you, and although I find their involvement a little surprising on some levels, it must be nice to know where they all stand on the situation...

I hope your meeting with your lawyer went well. (As well as to be expected.) Things can get complicated in CA, so hopefully, your lawyer carefully guides you through...

I'd suggest that if you have moments where you lack any clarity, that you review your own archives here... It's you, talking to well, you.

Wishing you some peace and a restful night's sleep.