September 30, 2009

Burnt Out


Once again, I'm back off the meds. I didn't really realize how easy it is for me to forget to take my anti-depressents on a regular basis if I don't make a concerted effort to place them out in the open for me to take every morning, or do some other meaningless ritual to remember to take them.

Needless to say I just realized I've been off my meds now for about a week, and I just feel burnt out. Hopefully this is just another random cycle of mine, but I have taken notice and stock that I just feel 'meh' at best this past week or so. Actually 'meh' is not exactly the best descriptor, but I can't think of a better word right now.

Things between my wife and I are 'okay' to 'good' and I do believe in the power of prayer that my friends, family, and fellow church parishoners are indeed making a difference....for the better. My wife and I have been getting along pretty well as of late and she's pleasantly surprised me a few times this past week, albeit last night she was a little snippy when I was asking her some basic questions.

I guess I feel 'meh' now because of work...or is it the feeling I have no time anymore for myself to just relax. Or is it because we still can't afford (both financially or time wise) to take a real vacation.

Yeah, I've been just tired. I get up, get ready for work, sit in traffic, do my job, come home, do chores, and then feel tired just to realize I did nothing for myself and now I gotta do it all over again the next day. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

So yeah, I'm fricken burnt out.

It doesn't help that once again it seems that every dollar I have made recently is already once again accounted for, and I'm brown bagging my lunch every day, and the idea of even buying myself a video game to play somehow seem outta reach. First, because the $60 for a new game should really be used to pay off a bill (which I end up doing anyway) and I have no 'free' time...unless you consider 10pm open (in anycase I need to go to bed 'cause I gotta work to pay for the bills we incurred anyway).

I know...it could be worse. It could be much worse....and it has in the past as well. Then I wake up and realize people just died when a tsunami hit their island, or a flood wrecked their house, or some young child was abused/raped by a step parent and locked in a closet and beat the last 4 years. Or is it the whack jobs in Syria or Iran scoffing at us at the U.N.?

I wish God really would intervene at times (just short of the Apocalypse) and give the whole earth a breather for a few days..or even weeks. Do a little house cleaning...a culling of the heinous to help ease the minds of the rest of us for a change.

I can't even think right now what would recharge my batteries. Would a week cruise do the job, or would I just worry about how I would pay that off afterwards?

I look around the house and take count of all the things that need fixing or need to be repaired and replaced and realize none of it is happening anytime soon. Heck, if I can't afford a $50 video game, how am I gonna get the water line repaired, or replace that ceiling fan, or recalibrate the stove? Yeah, I see the blinds on that window falling apart and dangling by a weathered thread, but I still can't buy new ones.

And then there's work. Beleive me, I do indeed thank God that I do have a job in these times. As I'd like to think everyone is thankful who has a job appreciates it. My neighbor (mid 50's just got laid off a few weeks back) is feeling it and wishes he was working as he has a family to support, and another neighbor is going through a foreclosure...and I feel bad for them too, and I know I shouldn't complain. But does God really want us to be miserable in our daily routines? I know there are a lot of biblical stories that and examples of plenty of holy men who toiled at there jobs for decades just to have it all taken away. I don't really think that God has that desire for any of us, nor does He wish us to feel miserable and wanting. But since I am human, and humans are known to be selfish and think of themselves...well, quite frankly I'm pretty fricken sick of it all.

As I've stated before, I like what I do..I really do...I just don't like the people I have to interact with, or the ludicrous and backwards company policies and explanation that seem to be more hinderance and red tape than progress. It's 2009 and my company is stuck in the 1970 mentality on a lot of things and simple things just get bogged down in tedium and I just never get a sense of real accomplishment any longer. I pointed this out to my boss once....we never 'fix' anything or 'repair/replace' things...we just 'jury-rig' with duct-tape and bubblegum...just enough to get us by until teh next breakdown.

That can become very de-moralizing and crippling and hinder one's overall sense of contribution and self-worth. Did I really go to college to get two degrees just to be a glorified maintenance man when I could do so much more if I wasn't saddled with all these contraints. I think that contributed to my sense of being tired and 'meh' all the time.

No comments: