January 16, 2007

A day to drink

Today has been a long day, much longer than I expected, and I'm so tempted to cut it short and go home early.

Why?

Well, I'm alone at the office today. One peer is out sick, a second is in training all week, and the 3rd isn't much help to begin with. So of course, today is when all the 'urgent' and 'nutty' issues come out of the woodwork to plague me. I couldn't even enjoy my late lunch without my cell phone ringing to let me know I had to rush back to reset somebody's password.

Funny how everyone think they are the only one with an issue, and theirs is the most important of them all. When someone asks me innocently, "Hey, how you doin'?", I want to be bluntly honest and say "Pretty crappy, thank you. I have a headache, I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I feel like I'm drowning in work."

Like the cliche states...When it rains, it pours.

So I have just under two hours left at work, just to go home and do more chores. Today is literally one of those days where there are not enough hours to get anything worthwhile accomplished.

I try to imagine back in biblical times, thousands of years before the telephone, the business PC, commuter traffic, and modern day inventions how people judged they were having a busy day. They say with invention, our lives are to become easier. I'm not sure I agree with that. All I can think of is how much responsibilty I have now and when do I get to take a personal time out to collect my thoughts. I think sometime technology is more a burden and makes socialization to close and tight at times. If we are able to be contacted anywhere, anytime, how much privacy and free time have we sacrificed?

No comments: