November 17, 2006

Solitude - The missing ingrediant


In Genesis we learn of the creation of this planet, and of man. God had deemed that Adam not be alone, but to have a partner, a companion, a mate to help rule over his creation and to share with one another.

I like the idea that God forseen man's basic need to communicate with other humans. To interact, to talk to one another, to help. But we all need our alone time. Whether it be from stressful situations where we just need to rest, or to collect ones own thoughts, or reflect on the days events, or just talking to God.

People laugh or thinks its strange that I can go to a movie theatre alone. I'm not sure why. During the movie, people usually don't talk to each other anyway and they are looking forward at the screen. Sometimes I relish these moments. I'm relaxed and I'm quite fine being alone. I also like to read. I read a lot and that doesn't require anybody else in the room fro me to lose myself in a good book.

Perhaps it is because I am an only child. I learned how to entertain myself. I didn't have any imaginary friends that I spoke to in my mind. And while I did enjoy having friends and being around people, I was just as content being alone in my own little world. Maybe too much so.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. The only thing that scares me about being alone is when I get older and close to death. I don't want to die alone. I don't want some neighbor to come check on me after I haven't emerged from my domicile after a few days to find me sprawled out on the floor starting to stink and attract flies.

When it comes to my mindset, I've also been thinking of being alone too. Not that I want to lead the life of a hermit or recluse, but to take time off from all the noise and drama around me.

I often imagine packing up my car and driving off to destinations unknown and being out in nature, only myself.

I picture laying down in the desert at night, looking up at the countless stars feeling the cool air about me and listening to crickets and wildlife. How many stars are there? How old are they? How much history have they seen?

I picture myself sitting near a babbling brooke in the middle of some midwestern state, watching the waves of grain sway to a soft wind, the warmth of the sun on my arms and face, the occasional majestic bird flying by. Is he watching me?

I imagine being near an abandoned mediterranean village, the smells of distant spiced fare and an exotic drink in my hand. Is someone cooking for a lost one waiting for their loved one to come home?

I lean back in the sand watching the sun set over the ocean. I stare at the colors of the sky as they change and watch the clouds float by. I hear the crashing of the waves, one by one, nonstop. Does the ocean, teaming with life, know that I am alone and that I am watching her? Does she welcome me with open arms, proud that I stare in wonderment of her power and peace?

No man-made noise. No one to bother me. No stupid questions, no pitiful drama. Just nature the way God has created it. Just me feeling the beat of my own heart, concentrating on my regulated breathing, closing my eyes and allowing my senses to identify where I am and what I mean to this planet and to God's plan for me.

No comments: