November 05, 2013

T minus 2 days

Well, I just received an email from my attorney and it appears that within the next two days I will be officially a single man again.  He let me know that he hand delivered our signed papers to the court today for filing and they shoudl be ready for pickup sometime on Thursday.

It has been a very long, arduous, sometimes contentious, and overly emotional 21+ months for me.  Most divorces in my state are supposed to take 6 months.  Mine took over three times that long due to a myriad of various factors including, but not limited to: low court resources, a flip-flopping wife, miscommunication between legal teams, and of course my wifes continued denial of proven fact.

In many ways I should be happy.  I should be able to finally take a deep breath of relief, and shake off this horrendous weight on my shoulders and main and look forward to forging a new future and life.  I think about so many people I know who have gotten divorced, and I don't know how they have rebounded as quickly as they have.  I feel like I have been scarred and damaged for life.

In fact, once I read his email again today I actually felt a bit of anxiety creep back in.  This means I have to begin my alimony payments almost immediately; 4 years worth begin with the next few weeks.

I've also been informed that she wishes to pick up some of her last few objects in about a week and half from now.  I haven't had any contact with her since last May.  That's 6 months and I'm somewhat nervous.  I'm not sure why I feel that way.  There is no reason on earth why I should feel nervous or bad.  I didn't do anything wrong to begin with and I need to keep reminding myself almost daily...it was her decisions, not mine, that got us to this point. 

And 21 months later, other than the fact I will pay alimony, I suppose justice did prevail (depending on where you stand).  I get to keep everything I care about.  And she is still broke and owes much money to her lawyers.  Yeah, I may have to give her X amount in money, but my guess is most of it is spoken for or will be used to pay her debts off. 

So, how did that work of for you?

Okay, so that sounded kinda smug.  It shouldn't be.  I lost a lot too.  I'm just drained.  I seriously wish it didn't go down this way, but I won't miss many aspects and situations

Still, I'm not looking forward to that last face to face meeting where I she grabs the remainder of her memories from my house and I look back and have nothing to show for the last ten years except my gray hair.

No comments: