March 27, 2013

It's so hard to keep mum.

Nothing major, but I find myself struggling not to contact my in-laws to inform them of their daughters inaction which has an impact on me and my family.

See, my dad just called me a few minutes ago to let me know that not one, but two credit card companies called him this morning looking for my ex-wife.  Apparently, even after she told me she was going to take of this....she hasn't.  She's had a full year now to contact them and to make arrangements, and swore to me on numerous occasions she would.

She hasn't.

You may have fooled 'YOUR' family, but you're not fooling me.

What I fail to understand is why the credit companies are calling my parents.  Why would they call someone not on contract?  Are they calling her parents?  Are her parents just ignoring them the calls as well?  Are they even aware that this is going on?

This is one of the reasons I had to turn off my home phone.  85% of the calls I've been getting are credit companies looking for her.  So both my parents and I have been happily been giving them her parents home number.  Whether these companies follow through afterwards and call the numbers we supply, I don't know.

But since this doesn't seem to be working, I have to step it up:  I will now be handing out her 'work' number.  They can call her at work, and when the small cafe starts getting calls regarding her debt, she can handle it there on her 'work' time.

I am so tempted to contact my in laws right now, but my dad says I am so close to the end, why rock the boat now?  While I see what he is saying at a Macro level, the fact is I think that even after the divorce is finalized, she will still not pay these bills, and my parents and I will still get these calls....endlessly.

Every time I get these calls, all I see and hear in my head is the one-sided conversation she had to me in which she said "It's always about the money to you."  And I keep thinking, how ironic...yes, it is about the money....the fact that YOU overspent and expect ME to clean up your mess.  How YOU said you changed, will take responsibility, and make arrangements and HAVE NOT.  How it is always about SOMEONE elses money...but never YOURS!  Why?  Because that's how YOU roll...you have your parents, your family, and your husband ALWAYS bail you out...and then bitch, and moan, and complain, and blame that everyone else (namely me) only cares about money.

Yes, there's a reason why I have never declared bankruptcy and you have.  There's a reason CC companies don't call me but only call you.  There's a reason I am getting a tax return and you are not.  There's a reason why you've been bouncing checks for years and I have not.  There's a reason you took your daughters money for yourself.  There's a reason your last car got repossessed and your parents had to float you the new car and your insurance.  And you have the audacity to tell me, I have an issue with controlling money?

Yes, perhaps I do.  I have an idea of both 'self-control' and a sense of 'responsibility' and live within my means.  Why don't you give that a try since your way isn't working out for you so much.

I'm not sure what I'm hoping to actually accomplish....but I think I'd feel a little better if I could let your parents know that even not under my roof, you're still the same irresponsible person you've always been and let them know about your credit issues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get it... You want some validation from them - it's not all you... But really, you'd just be tattling on her - trying to get her into trouble with her parents. I would be shocked to hear that they didn't already know... After all, wasn't some of the intervention having to do with her financial irresponsibility? At any rate, it doesn't matter. Take a super-deep breath, like down to your toes deep, and let it go... She's 40-something, and living with her parents, has a sort-of job, and can't even manage to have a car without outside help... Picture Charlie Sheen and his "winning" tirade... was he?

Alone Disciple said...

Thanks Anon.

I made that post in the heat of the moment, and didn't turn it over to God. Didn't take a deep breath. Didn't relax. Didn't put in perspective.

I'm really not surprised. 7 days of 'life coaching' is not rehab. And it's certainly not going to turn around 20 years of bad irresponsibility.

Just irritates me that this has spilled over into other areas of my life a year after the fact.

You're right....it doesn't matter, and yes, I suppose at some level I do want validation. Selfish of me, and not in the correct spirit.

Probably why "Forgiveness" is such a cornerstone of Christ's ministry...its so hard to do...but is the 'right' thing to do.