August 30, 2012

Someone got a new job...

.....and it isn't me.

Like so many things about my marriage, I guess I shouldn't be surprised I am one of the last people to find out my wife finally got a job, and I didn't even hear it from her.  Surprise!

While I am happy for her, and this will be a stepping stone for her to get back on her feet and help buidl some of that self-worth and confidence she has been missing for quite some time, it's not what I was expecting.

Apparently, today is her first day and she will be working at a 'Tea Room'.

I don't have many details yet, I suppose I'll find out later tonight at what I think will be my last counseling session with her (at least thats my plan), but it's a far cry from what I expected for her.  However, I know she wanted to get back into the food industry after being away from it for so many years (at least 12+), and with her unemployment benefist scheduled to run out soon, I suppose anything is good news.

From what I can gather she will be working in the kitchen, and possibly be a server, or doing some ordering.  Again, I'll know more later.  But I did notcie a few things.  The place only serves food from 11am to 2:30pm Wed-Thur, and 11am to 3:30pm Fri-Sun, closed Mon & Tue.

If I do my math correctly, that's 20.5 hours a week.  Maybe she'll put in an extra hour for prep and cleanup, so in a best case scenario that may just shy of 30 hours, if she does indeed work every day.  If so, that means church will most likely be missed on Sunday's, and our schedules will have us working diffrent days.

Since it is a mom & pop shop, I cannot imagine there is a 401K program, high hourly salary, an insurance plan, or other benefits.  I know that sounds very dour coming from me.....don't get me wrong...I'm happy that she found something that will get her back into the swing of things.  She has been unemployed since April of 2011 and she really needs the boost, and I see this is a new start for her.  All good.

In this economy, beggars can't be choosers, and I know her back is up against the wall.  At least perhaps I won't have to pay for her anymore, or if I do pay alimony, it won't be as much now that she is working once again and paying no rent.

Although, I wish she would apply herself, go back to school, and aim a little higher.  I think that she could if she tried, but she's always been somewhat complacent.

I am kinda bummed out I found out the way I did.  For someone who wants to be upfront with me and reconcile, I'm a little taken aback that she didn't tell me right away.  Apparently, but like I said in the beginning, it doesn't shock me that all her friends found out before me.  I guess I can count that as something else that hasn't changed.

No comments: