June 05, 2012

An anniversary of a different sort

Tomorrow is my 5 year anniversary at my most recent job. 

It's a love/hate relationship, someday I dread it, but other days it has been both my savior financially and mentally.  It has afforded me to pay for my car, my house, starting a new 401K savings.  It has also afforded me some semblance of sanity in a tough economy where I myself was let go from a 10 year old job about 6.5 years ago.

Overall I truly do have mixed emotions and feelings about it.  On one hand, it isn't my dream job.  I feel like I've been held back at times, overall company morale is at an all time low this past year with many of our perks disappearing due to budget cuts.   As a matter of fact, even though it is a 5 year anniversary, there are no plans with my department.  Looks like the lunch got cut.  Maybe I'll bring in some donuts for everyone...on me.

On the flip side with so many people out of work, and my state in particular with close to 12% unemployment, I'm constantly reminding myself to thank the Lord for everything he has provided for me thus far.

Yeah, I get some "icky" grunt-work from time to time.....well....a lot of the time more recently, but then again beggars can't be choosers.  I wish I worked slightly closer to home, but all-in-all the hour round trip commute could be worse.  Many of my fellow employees drive much further.

So what do I have planned for my Thursday off?  Chores!  I have a Dr. visit in the morning, followed by taking my pup in for his annual checkup.  I then need to go to the car dealership and get a spare bulb to replace my burnt out rear blinker/brake light.  Then it's all about filling out legal paperwork so I can turn that in on Friday to my lawyer.  And if I have some spare time, maybe work on my friends testimony that she asked me to help her re-write it.

Ah...the life of a 42 year old bachelor.  That's okay....I've been taking care of all this stuff by myself for years anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope that your day off was productive and you were able to take care of all the things on your list. Keep on keepin' on!