February 23, 2012

All quiet today

Not much to report today.

Met with a lawyer yesterday afternoon to check my options. The only good news that really came out of anything is that since my wife is broke, she wouldn't be able to put up much of a legal fight against me (not that I want that to begin with), and I'd most likely end up with the house.

Bad news is that I may have to pay upto 4 years spousal support in a step-down model, but that's in an extreme case.

More importantly is my dog. I know most people thinks that's crazy, but he is my puppy and my love (albeit he's six years old), and I would fight for him.

Even the lawyer suggested we use an interventionist and recomended that I also seek counsleing at Al-Anon. Probably a good idea, but I just don't have the time or energy right now. Maybe in the coming weeks.

My inlaws have offered to pay a portion of the intervnetion process, but an actual dollar amount has not been officially discussed. At least they are willing.

I took two calls from interventionists today. One seemed very nice, very reasonable, and was willing to work with my budget. I was imprssed by this because she said the ultimate goal was to get my wife help. The downside was she wouldn't be available until March 10th at the earliest.

The second one seemed to take a much more liberal approach and quite honestly I'm not sure I was buying what he was selling (plus he only had 4 years experience) and wanted to treat my wife with kids gloves. No, the whole family has been treating her with kid gloves for years, and she's steamrolled over us. He was ready to go to action this week, but I'm not ready and neither is my father in law. March 10th is two weeks away and I know that ticks my SIL off, so we'll have to negotiate.

We were going to possibly meet as a family today with an interventionist my SIL was going to set up, but since my SIL never contacted me today, I guess thats not happening.

More to come....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go with your gut in selecting your interventionist... You need to be comfortable with the person, too. Really, all too often we ignore that gut feeling and override it with logic - not always the best way to go... We are given instincts to survive... follow them.