March 31, 2011

Therapy, Part Duex

Well, I've been back on my anti-depressants for just over two weeks now (although I did forget to take one this morning), and I'm not sure they have kicked in or not. This past week especially I've had a lot of physical anxiety, precursor to a full fledged panic attack, on at least three seperate days now. This past Saturday was the worst where I broke down and took a pill to combat the feeling. Otherwise a steady stream of exercising, breathing exercises, and intense prayer only seem to have a temporary effect on me. My birthday sucked. That was two weeks ago, and for those that are wondering....no, I did not get anything, not even a card from my wife. On the 17th, instead of drinking green beer and 'whupping' it up at any watering hole, I was instead at therapy. I planned on an hour session and it came to be closer to an hour and half, maybe slightly more. There was a lot of self-pity and crying, but it felt good to get it out. The therapist gave me a book to borrow, "Don't seat the small stuff: For couples". The following few days, I devoured that book and it made a lot of sense....in the moment. But as is usually the case, mere hours after a temporary reprieve, I start feeling crappy again, a small ball of anxiety and sadness manifesting within my chest....sometime making it uncomfortable to breathe. I've realized I am so scared of rejection...of being alone...of taking the steps to start over yet again. Whereas divorce never entered my vocabulary a few years ago, the thought is populating my head more and more often. I have so much love to give someone, and the desire to share and to be wanted by my wife or anyone. I'm a decent looking guy. I actually got hit on the other day and it made me feel good, but then again, it wasn't my wife...the person I swore "For better or for worse, till death do us part". I know I could remarry...someday....but I don't want to. I don't understand why my wife is so hot and cold. After my session, the therapist asked me to ask my wife to attend the following week. To my surprise, my wife agreed. However, the session did not go as I envisioned it. I really...honestly....really tried to steer away from financial talk, but the therapist sensed a hot button and pushed. Once again, my (or our) hour session went almost 2 full hours with me crumbling near the end and realizing how resentful my wife is when it comes to the topic of money. But everytime I hear my wife explain or attempt to talk about it, I am always in utter shock on how much denial she is in when it comes to her part and responsibility for 'our' current situation. Even the therapist tried to point things out to her, but she wasn't hearing it, or if she was, it was in one ear and out the other. We are supposed to go again today at 5:30 and I'm looking forward to it. Just so I can release again. Hopefully my wife remembers. We were given a HW assignment from the therapist this past week. We were supposed to write each other a note everyday and place it for the other to find. A compliment. A word of encouragement. A loving word. I managed to do it 3 times for my wife. She never acknowledged any of them. In return she never wrote me one note. I'm hurt. This morning I awoke early from stress. I laid in bed, my eyes once again filling up with tears. I tried to hide them by washing my face with a wash cloth. My wife never noticed. Now that I sit and write this entry and look back over the past two weeks, I realize how hard I have tried...........and how little my wife has, if at all. I can't continue like this. Perhaps I do need to call that lawyer afterall next week. God...I hate my life right now again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shit. I was really hoping that it's been a case of 'no news is good news,' for you... Keep up the counseling, and hey, text your wife and remind her... Keep hanging in there - I do believe that things will work out for you for the better in one way or another - just keep working through your feelings on it all and it will become more clear what you want to do next. And since it sounds like you need a big hug, I'm sending one your way... {HUG}

Anonymous said...

Checking in on you... Hope counseling went well and offered some relief. Was thinking a bit about your meds and I'm thinking that you might not have been back on them quite long enough to get the full benefit yet, but that it should come soon as long as you're consistent in your dosing... Wishing you a fair weather, smooth sailing sort of weekend!

Anonymous said...

I came across this site, as I was searching for "Alone in God" on google. The reason I was searching it, is becuase my whole life I have suffered depression, anxiety, panick attacks, I could be really high then next minute really low, very angry all the time and pretty much lost. For the last two years I have been praying and seeking out god (as I was brought up in a spiritual enviroment), and I felt god was with me, but still something missing. I was offered antidepressants at some such and refused them. I exercise, I have a balanced life, a great life...but still all the symptoms consisted. So one month ago, I had had enough and decided to pray with my dad, and as I prayed I said to god I WILL CHANGE i know longer will have any of these symptoms, YOU WILL SET ME FREE, and im telling you with every bit of faith inside me, i ONLY believed i would be free from this life of torment. Im telling you its been only just over a month, but I can not explain to you how free I feel.
My fiance is on antidepressants, and his focus is solely on them being the cure to his life for the same symptoms I HAD and you have mentioned. I love him and want him to be my man until im an old 99 year old, but most days it pains me seeing that I know there is hope for him, and it does not lie in a pill.
I have no idea who you are, nor have I have written a blog, or commented on one, but all Im going to say is, if you seek healing and with ALL of your entire heart have faith AND DO NOT FOR A SECOND DOUBT GOD, the creator of this earth, YOU CAN change, and Im telling you, what you seek in your wife, you will find from god, the feeling of love and peace, and no loneliness. BY your leadership and faith in god, I have no doubt your wife will follow in time.
Dont look to her to fill your void. She never will, nor will my partner. Have you ever wondered whether her actions are becuase she is preventing herself from being hurt? I have done this many times towards my partner, without knowing it.

Sorry to ramble on.
Gods waiting for you to come to him and RELY ON him.
Next time you go to take a pill...how bout dropping a prayer?
He WILL hear you.
Peace brother, Ill pray for you.