November 24, 2010

Anxiety attack

I can't pinpoit the exact reason, but last night at about 6pm, I felt the early signs of an anxiety/panic attack.

I hadn't had one for some time, but I probably worked myself up for various reasons yesterday. I'm sure most of it had to do with finances....We have property taxes, mortgage, home owners insurance, both vehicle registration all due within the coming weeks including Christmas. I have 13 more car payments to make on my car before I can breathe a little easier, but of course that's a year from now and doesn't do me any good today.

Couple that with the revelation of my step-daughters negative viewpoint on religion and her 'graduation' from independant study yesterday...of course with no plan moving forward at this point (no plans for college, no plans to get sa drivers license, no idea on what she wants to do, etc).

By the time I got home from work yesterday, I felt that tightening happening in my chest. The feel of adrenaline building up in a ball just behind my sternum with nowhere to go, no outlet. My body getting an occasional shiver of ice running through my veins and my jaw tense enough I realized my teeth were hurting from clenching down.

It's supposed to be the start of the Holidays....where I should be able to relax and let go and thinking about a turkey and mash potatoe induced coma, but instead I'm on edge.

I ended up taking a Clonzapen before our dinner last night in which we were to 'celebrate' my daughter's graduation. I took it at home and thank goodness it kicked in by the time we got to the restaraunt. I felt a little 'high', or as close to that feeling I can describe without being on illict substances, and proceded to make it through dinner much more relaxed and 'floaty'.

We got home at around 9pm and I took the hottest shower I could stand and was in bed reading by 9:30, lights out at 10.

I feel better for the most part this morning, although my wife and I had a discussion about money again this morning (my bad...I brought it up, but I had to before I went to work, as things in the 'joint' account seemed a tad off to me and I couldn't leave it be without knowing what this check was for).

All in all here's to hoping I (and you) have a decent and great Thanksgiving. I know I am going to try hard and relax....but is that really relaxing if I have to try so hard, or is that considered a job?

No comments: