October 21, 2010

The Forgotten Updated (part II)

Actually, this really isn't what I wanted to talk about at all today, but looking back at my last post, I know I said this would be the next entry.

Financially, a lot has happened to both my wife and I over the course of our marriage. Notice that I don't say 'our' financials, because up until very recently (and still not 100% completed) our finances were seperate.

I won't rehash history here (that's what the archives are for), but to put it out there simply here is the brief synopsis: 1) My wife had filed for bankruptcy just prior to our marriage, 2) She's not very good with money or understanding the responsibility of money, 3) We bought a house on the upswing of the market probably paying a tad bit more than we should have, 4) I had a nice paying job that I lost and was unemployed for a few month eventually taking a lower paying job, 5) My 11 year old car died and I bought a new car and financed it for 4 years with larger than I'd liek to admit monthly payments, 6) My step-daughetr came to live with us full time, thus increasing all our monthly bills and responsibilities, without the raises in this economy to make that transition easier, 7) My wife never learned her lesson and despite my constant pleading ran up a new set of credit cards she eventually couldn't pay for. 8) We both dislike our jobs, make less than we did 5 years ago and our bills have increased.

Sound like 75% of the rest of the country? Yeah, I don't expect much sympathy. I will tell you that I don't look for handouts or try to cheat the government, and I although neither one of us may care for our jobs or the people that are a part of them, we both work hard and at times have picked up occasional side jobs or began selling things of ours, or cutting out previous luxuries and making plenty of sacrifices along the way.

At times it seems it's all I can do to keep our heads above water. We have eaten plenty of spaghetti, many of PB&J sandwiches for lunch, or just plain skip breakfast. We've learned to shop with coupons, take advantage of sales, buy generic, and stretch things out as long and as far as we can. My wife has made tremendous strides forward in this realm lately, but it took her getting pounded into the sand again even with all the warning signs and headsup one can give before she really recognized the situation.

It used to really bother me, and I'll admit, it still does at times that she used to 'dismiss' my financial advice, thinking I was more of a nag or combative than I was a person trying to guide her. I used to say "Why would I steer you wrong? What happens to you, both directly and indirectly affects me. It in in yours, mine, and "our" best interest to look at your spending habits." I think she may be honest today in saying that she was in denial before. What I would say and she would dismiss, her parents would then backup what I was saying all along, and then she'd be okay with it, as if tehre was no way I could possibly know what I was talking about, despite the fact my credit was stellar and hers was in the shitter.

A few months back, the old pattern came back around and culminated once again with various creditors and bancks calling our house at all times of the day looking for my wife. Her strategy? Run and hide and maybe they'll go away. On the contrary, fees began piling up again, the calls didn't stop and now letters coming to the door. I told her I couldn't and wouldn't help anylonger. That's the truth....I was/am still having my own financial issues and already gave up so much that I didn't have just spare change lying about to hand out. At one point I was literally rolling tubes of pennies to take to the gas station to put gas in my car.

My wife finally turned to her parents, and thank goodness they put their own foot down and didn't cave in like last time. Now they wanted to see my wifes bank records, canceled statements, and demanded she cut up her cards before they even entertained helping/bailing her out again. I finally got the support I was looking for....I imagine it was there all along actually, but my wife was so embarrassed and running out of stories and excuses to keep her parents and I from all getting on the same page and piece together what the heck happened.

It was one of those very long nights again, when my mother-in-law showed up at our house, and patiently, yet firmly and lovingly, made my wife lay all her cards out on the table. I even learned a few things that night I was both surprised and furious with. My fury gave way to disapointment and then to a sense of 'helplessness'. I recall sitting on our couch doing all the math in my head once I got an idea of the 'whole picture', and I resigned myself to the fact that I'll never being going on any vaction anytime soon, or I'll have to retire late in life (if at all) and that my favorite hobbies and dreams of today (what little are left to begin with) all have to be shelved yet again.

As I heard my wife speak more and more about 'her' (and what is really 'our') situation, my mind forgot we were even married. A few thoughts I had: 1) How the hell did I not see this coming? 2) How did she allow this to happen yet again? 3) Is she seriously thinking that everything is okay? Is she that blind? That far in denial? That far out of touch in reality? 4) How many more crappy sandwiches am I going to have to eat? 5) When can I buy myself any new toy, book, game, or small gadget? 6) And yes, "Why did I marry her again? My life was so much more simple and carefree and secure when I was single...

To be continued......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope that combining accounts is working out well for you both. Money management sure can add a lot of stress to a marriage. I find it interesting when I compare how my spouse & I spend our money vs. how my parents managed theirs. My parents didn't have a lot of the extras we feel we need today, and didn't do all the dining out that we do today either. Somehow my generation has landed in this place of regular dining out, and what in my parent's day would have been considered extravagant vacations, as well as the ever present 'keeping up with the Jones' mentality... It has landed us all in debt and with a huge sense of disappointment... don't know the answer to it, but it'd surely be nice to have less pressure on the pocketbook! Best of luck to you!

Alone Disciple said...

Well, I'll address more of that in Part III.

Moving into this next phase of 'combined income' is taking longer than I expected. There have been a few delays with my wife's work, and she's quite 'content' (my personal peeve) to allow her responsibilities to land in the lap of others. If there is a screw up at the bank per-se, I'll be the first one on teh phone the next morning.....my wife will say 'they'll sort it out in a week or so'.

In a way, it's a good thing that Part III is being dragged out, because I'm always surprised how many roadblocks and obstacles I have no control over, or don't get to control until it's late in the game.