August 05, 2010

Thursday Check In

This morning has been my busiest morning in about two weeks. I like it like that. It's just busy enough to make the time go by without really thinking about it, but not so busy and stressful that I feel pressured, rushed, or prone to make mistakes in my work.

I just finished anothr boring sack lunch. Some left over potato salad (we have a ton of it left over from the previosu weekend) and a home made rast beef sandwich. I'm normally okay with sandwiches, but it just seemed to taste a bit old, plain, and unispiring today. The best part was the colby-jack cheese (which I alywas give a pinch, the size of nickle, to my dog...he loves it!). The bread was some psuedo halthy wheat-berry, multi-grain stuff, that just seemed off as well.

I've been taking more lunches to work lately, usually 3 times (sometimes even 4) a week to help save money. Sometimes I don't mind, but lately it's been a bit...um, melancholy to my taste buds? On the flip side, I'm also saving gas money as I'm not driving to a fast food joint, it's portion control, it's quiet, and I also get to read a book. I'm enjoying my novel by Garth Stein. Today, I read close to 50 pages, or just about 1/6th.

I've been thinking about the Amazon Kindle more and more lately. The price has come down quite a bit, but there's something about holding an actual book in my hands that just seems more comforting and real to me than some electronic tablet. That's wierd to me because I generally embrace technology and I like gadgets a lot. But that idea of spending between $139-189 for an 'electronic reading device' just seems a tad high.

As I write this, I have 4 hours left in my 'work' day. Then I have a 1/2 hour commute home. I'll probably being grilling pork chops again....which I do like, and some kind of rice dish. I'll walk my dog most likely, and settle into the rut that is watching TV until 10pm or so and go to bed. We'll also probably stay home again tomorrow night (Friday) as well. Maybe chat with the neighbors a bit, but overall, it'll be a low-key weekend (i.e. spend free) again.

I may take 1 day off next week. I just feel I need too. Maybe the wife and I will go to the county fair before it goes away again until next year. We've gone every year the last 3 years. I like walking around and looking at the art work and the animals and having myself some country food, but big city fairs don't seem to have to have the same flair or feeling as some 'real country fair' like you see in the movies. No, our fair is a city affair, with traffic jams, over-priced rides, and influence from the 'burbs.

Even if we don't go to the fair, I may take the day off anyway. It'll be nice just to sit at home, maybe work on a model, sit in the sun with a book and a fresh brewed glass of ice-tea, maybe do a small project or two at home I've been wanting to tackle for a while.

Heh...3 hours 50 minutes left.

No comments: