March 20, 2009

I think I just need a hobby (part II)

So where was I?

Oh, a long rambling rant of finding something to do in my spare time that makes me happy and that I can excited about and place my pent up energy into and get some sense of self accomplishment out of.

I spoke of model trains yesterday and briefly mentioned podcasting. So let me tell you more about podcasting. I really enjoy the idea of learning RSS protocols, blogging, sharing (for those that want to hear, or care) and I suppose the idea of having a audio show out there in cyberspace is very intriguing to me. A 30 minute episode produced weekly or biweekly seems completly doable to me, but the biggest issue for me right now is what would the show be about?

I've been reading the book 'Podcasting for Dummies', and I'm pretty good with computers and conceptual understanding to know how it is all supposed to work. But again, it;s the subject matter. What niche could I find myself talking about that already isn't flooded with like minded subjects that could hold an audiences attention for 20 to 30 minutes at a time?

I'm passionate about a lot of diffrent things...like cooking, politics, religion, comic book collecting, video games, science fiction....but a search of podcast directories reveals that these subjects are already saturated and many done in teams of two or more people. How would I make mine stand out amongst all the others.

Do I do show about depression? How fun would that be for either myself or you? Do I do a show about Christ when I am very immature in the studies to begin with? Do I do a comedy show when people do tell me I am very funny and witty when I want to be? How about cooking? Dogs? Current TV shows? Well, it seems that many of these already exist and again, I'm not sure I can sustain enough material to keep a show going for more than a half a dozen epsiodes.

That's another reason I think I need a 'real' hobby. If I could sink my teeth into something cool, say model trains, I could see myself doing a poscast on that.

I have a friend who is single and I envy portions of his lifestyle. On a whim, he can just jump in his car (he belongs to an off roading car club) and he goes on little 2-4 days excursions with variosu people and he always has the most interesting stories and pictures....and they are always diffrent. Like he could do a podcast on the diffrent trips he takes...he could talk about camp grounds, restaurants, points of interest, communing with nature, social circles with his trip mates, pictures he took, weather, and most importantly his car and the tips and tricks of offroading. That to me sounds exciting....but those are 'his' experiences...not mine, and I can't afford to do those types of things. I'm very happy for him, but envious none-the-less.

The last few days (stretching actually into a week or more) I've been wracking my brain on what I would like to do. I come up with fleeting ideas, but then again, nothing that hits me smack in the middle of the head. The best idea I have right now is more or less a jack of all trades variet-esque type show. Something where I could talk about day trips, hobbies, video games, tv...a little bit of everything I like to do....but how do I market it? How do I promote it? How do I secure an audience that may really like my subject one week, but hate all the others?

I must contemplate more.

No comments: