August 07, 2007

Point to Ponder

This thought has been niggling me the last few day. It actually came to me in church where I usually sit alone in the back row (as my wife does not attend).

I've been craving the Word for a few days, very intensly, and the more I crave the Word, the more I notice my secular thoughts also coming to the forefront as if the enemy is taunting me and causing a distraction.

While the message of the day was coming from the book of Romans, I felt as if I could not focus at all. I was listening to the pastor, but it was not sinking in. As I usally do in these matters, I turn to the book of Revelations. I find that throughout my life I have had this, for lack of a better word, 'fascination' with escatolgy and the end times. Revelations scares me, though I know many Christians look forward to these times. I'm honest in saying I do not.

Anyway, I'm quickly getting off track here. Actually, I have two thoughts that have been on my mind as of late, and perhaps someone out there can give me a perspective (I'll describe my other thought in a future post).

Thought: When Christ became man and dwelled amonsgt us, He often referred to Himself as the Alpha & Omega, the Lamb, the Living Word, etc. I have no issue whatsoever in believing He is the Son of God and God himslef (part of the Holy Trinity), however, I ponder the times He prayed to the Father.

There are times the bible describes Christ feverently praying to the Father asking for deliverance from temptation and other things. A) Why pray to just the Father and not the Holy Spirit? It is my understanding that all three are part of the Holy Trinity, and only Christ became flesh foregoing part of Himself for a period of time to fulfill scripture, but did Christ ever pray to the Holy Spirit? Then B) When Christ prayed, was he indirectly also praying to Himself? If He proclaims to be God, and he prays to God, is this a circular statement/argument? I know He looked to the Father for answers, but was this only because He walked amongst man as flesh and blood? It would seem to me that there is a very fine line which I cannot distinguish in which Christ may be praying to Himself....There must be a theological answer to this,...I am sure there is...on faith, but I cannot come to a clear thought other than to just 'accept' it as is.

No comments: