June 09, 2009

Joint session tonight

My wife has agreed to our first joint marriage therapy session this evening, and for the first time in weeks, I'm not sure what to tyhink about it or what even to talk about.

We've been getting along better the last few weeks, better than we have been in a long time, but far from perfect.

I don't believe she knows I'm on what I like to call my 'Happy Pills, i.e. Lexapro. As I've said before, the medication makes me very tired and if anything my wife has noticed I am having a harder time getting up in the mornings and am going to bed earlier in the evenings. The afternoons are the worst. Usually somehwere between 2pm and 3pm, I know if I went to lay down somewhere, I'd most likely fall alseep or take a nap.

So, since the mild intervention that happened almost 2 months ago, today will be the first time we're back in front of the therapist...and while I think I have a lot to say, I'm really hoping the therapist will take charge and pose much more questions to my wife than to me. Not that I don't think that I am absolved of putting forth additional effort right now....its just I'm a little hesitant to say anything lest I 'rock the boat', or start a journey down a constructive and critical path I may pay for later with my wife's behavioral response or sarcastic words.

Do I want to talk about the drinking? Yes. About her lack of communication and backwards priorities? Yes. The disfunctional way her relationship with her daughter, parents, and sister are going? Yes... But I'm also afraid to open a can of worms.....I just want peace and quiet, so I'm not real inspired to lead the charge tonight. I want to be the observer, listener, and responder this time.

No comments: