March 27, 2008

Relaxing evening

I look back at last night and figure it was long overdue.

Sorta a night to myself to a certain extent.

Yesterday was one of the busiest days of work I had in a long time. Our campus is pretty big but not really car friendly, so most of the time its less headache walking from building to building, but I put on a lot of mileage on my feet.

In one aspect its nice because the day goes by rather quickly, but on the other hand my mind was swimming in details and priorities on things that needed to get done before I went home.

When I finally did get home, sadly I was too tired to walk my dog...poor little boy. He means the world to me and is my saving grace to sanity once in a while, but I was too physically tired. Instead, he curled up on my lap and we watched TV together while I had a beer.

My wife did call me and say she would be late at work. Instead of being upset, it gave me the opportunity to sit down and play a video game. Some people laugh that at my age I play video games, but for me it is one of those complete stress relievers. Instead of a competitive shooter or something violent, I opted to play Guitar Hero III. While I have never been a complete fan of rock, metal, classic rock, or like genre's, there is something completely satisfying in getting absorbed into a hand-eye dexterity/coordination/immersion experience in full stereo. I have learned to appreciate some artists and songs I never would have batten an eyelash to before.

I played a full two hours, and when my wife did arrive at home finally, she made a wonderful salad. It was so good, I wish I could have had more...but then the dressing would have added some calories I didn't need that late at night. I guess it would be an oxymoron to then tell you I enjoyed a nice Jack on the rocks then.

Anyway, it was a state of bliss. I slept very well and was even surprised this morning when my wife brought me coffee in bed. Seriously! I was very delighted, surprised, and almost wondering if it were a set up that some shoe was going to drop....but it didn't. You see, the last two weeks has been such a emotional rollercoaster at home between us, that I wouldn't have expected this. These are the things that confuse me....how one day (or a series of days) can be so ugly, and then I seem to get a reprieve and my wife treats me very well. I sometimes believe this is her own way of apologizing to me as the word 'sorry' isn't in her vocabulary. Once she cools down over a period of a few days, there is change of behavior for the better. This is the woman I enjoy and love!

This morning I treated myself to a very large cup of Starbucks coffee as well, and while I know today will be busy as well, for some reason I just feel relaxed.

No comments: