March 12, 2008

Be Anxious for Nothing

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4: 6-7)

I'm a bit surprised I haven't had this passage memorized yet.

By some, much wiser and mature in the Word than me, have repeated these verses to me time and time again in the past when I was an emotional zombie.

During my state of flux, I may have nodded my head in agreement, but not really understanding the words spoken to me. With sore eyes, a red nose, and constant fatigue I'm sure I may have agreed to anything others were offering to me at the time. While I was always thankful for their caring words and prayers, I alos know there was a small portion of me that was tired of hearing any 'hullabalou' and just wanted to go to bed and close the door.

I'm approaching my 38th birthday very soon, and the stirring thoughts of emptiness rear their ugly head occassionaly. 38 years of age, married to a person who doesn't share all my beliefs, step-father to a teenage girl who really doesn't acknowledge me, working at a mundane job which is often more tiring than satisfying, in-debt, never been on my honeymoon let alone a vacation in the last 5+ years, and very concerned about the spiritual salvation of most of my family can be very daunting.

Two nights ago I was in the shower, and a wave of sadness washed over me. I began to think of my grandparents and my aunt and uncle(s)...not sure if any of them are saved. I began to think of my wife and her priorities (in which I question where I rank and where God is on her list at times). I began to be feel depressed again about the future....a future in which I am elderly and my parents and blood relatives are long gone. If my wife continues to smoke, I may outlast her as well...that is unless I have a heart attack first. I really fear being alone one day. Oh, I may have neighbors that are friend, I may have people at church who visit, but I'm really facing the fact I am the last of my own blood line.

And I have to read these verses over and over to remind myself....

"Be anxious in nothing ...." ..maybe secular things? The trivial things? Don't sweat the small stuff? Trust God?

"... but in everything ..." salvation? Peace of mind? The big picture? Take one day at a time?

"...by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." We all must remember to do this. Take a step back and put things ito perspective.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." ....You're right, I don't understand, but despretly aware I need this to help calm my spirit and take these negative thoughts away from me. Why worry about the future for things I do not yet know how they will unfold, or if God has a plan for me that hasn't even been put into motion yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yup,
thats the spirit.Why to think about future and go into depression.
I was in depression from last few months,and i know exactly what it takes to overcome depression.
i also can provide with some good resources which helped me out to overcome depression:
depression buster