October 10, 2007

God makes a covenant with animals

"And in that day will I make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field and with the fowls of heaven, and with the creeping things of the ground: and I will break the bow and the sword and the battle out of the earth, and will make them lie down safely" (Hosea 2:18)

I'm not really positive on all the interpretations man has come up with in regards to animals in the bible, and more specifically animals in heaven. I suppose the bible was meant for us, as the guidebook for humans and our salvation and not really a book regarding the summation of His other creations such as animals. There aren't too many verses in the bible that talk about animals in too much detail, however, there is indeed mention of animals present in heaven both today and in the end times.

But will these be our beloved pets?

I don't know, and it saddens me to a certain extent that it isn't that clear for us as far as the bible contends. Over the years, I have asked others, both practicing believers and not and I'd say all the answers depending on where you stand in your faith seem to be pretty evenly divided.

Yesterday I spoke of death, and how terrified I am of it. I guess I'm scarred that even though I believe I am 'saved', I also sometimes question my own faith, especially when I am depressed and sad, and I truly wonder if I will indeed make it into heaven. Many people of faith say that as long as you accept Christ, and you mean it, that you are indeed saved. Perhaps in my mind (and therefor my hesitancy on faith and in man) I still think this is 'too good to be true'. I keep being told about God's grace, His mercy, His love, His promise to us.....

But all I think of at times is that I am not worthy, I am a sinner, I am wretched, there are others more deserving, more faithful, more loving, more 'righteous'.

Then I think about animals. Do they have a soul? Any owner of a dog or a cat will say 'Yes!'...I know I do. But where does God draw, if any, the line? Do insects have souls? Do fish? Do reptiles?

I don't know, nor do I think anyone does for sure.

My dog, is the love of my life. Dare I say sometimes more so than my best friends? Sometimes my wife? I feel guilty at times because of this. But I really do know the experience of unconditional love, and I so want to believe this is just a taste of God's love for each one of us. If so, then I hope and pray and desire He extends this same love to all his creations, including my dog.

My dog is my little boy. Last year when I was at my worst. When I was popping pills left and right, and looking at the bottle of booze, and wanting to run away from life, my marriage, my day to day routines, it was my dog who kept me level headed and stopped me from hitting rock bottom. God also intervened, but it was my dog who looked at me everyday and loved me no matter what state of mind I was (and occasionally still experience) in.

I've been a small roller coaster this last week or so. I've only had one Clonapen a week back when I was upset with my wife, and like I said, the thought of death has been permeating my mind as of late.

This morning I was reminded again how precious life can be at times, well at least for our pets. My little man was so excited to see me this morning, and sat on my lap as I had a cup of coffee, and wanted to play with me. And he was sad when I left for work. He was sad enough that it made me wish I could call in sick today and spend the day with him, to let him know how much he means to me.

And then I know one day he will be gone, and that I will be devastated. But I want to give him everything that I can and make sure he is healthy and loved and cared for. He gives me purpose at times, and it is my way of repayment to him. Some of you may think I'm off my rocker....that I'm putting my dog before my friends and my family. Well, sadly this probably is indeed the case at times. Like I said yesterday...I have no children of my own, no brothers or sisters, and my wife and I are still figuring out 'our' love for each other. There is no question when it comes to my dog. Lord knows, I hope I have plenty of pills that day...the day when he passes on.

I hope that God does have a special place for pets and animals. In dog and cat families you hear of the 'rainbow bridge', where pets play all day long and they are healthy, and cared for under Christs pleasing eyes. I hope so. For while in my book people are a lost cause, our family pets are not, and I look forward to that day when I am reunited with him in heaven if God so allows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my heart I know exactly how you feel.

Like you and as much to other peoples dislike there is no soul on the earth that I loved more than my dog.

Like you I have no children, or brothers, or sisters.

You are one up on me. I have no husband.

Like you he brought me through a time when if he wasn't there to need me and love me I couldn't say if I would still be sitting here today. Knowing he was there and needed me is what kept me going in my roughest times.

You will be devastated beyond what you can possibly imagine when he passes away. Believe me.

My love for my dog was and still is like your love for yours. Since he passed on just over a month ago I haven't seen a day where I am not stricken my grief, depression, sorrow and lonliness. If the world were as I wish it was I would have left with him.

Take the day off once in a while to spend with him. You will be glad that you did.

Like you I would so hope that one day I would see my boy again. I would choose that reuinion above all others.

Like you....even if he makes it to heaven I cannot help but doubt whether one like me will.

Enjoy your journey together.