July 18, 2007

Celebrity Atheists....bummer

Yesterday I came across an Internet site that proclaims to have a list of notable people, i.e. celebs, who have come out as non-believers. They went as far as to include excerpts from previous interviews whether in print or other media to substantiate their claims, however, they did note that a few celebs seem to flip-flop from time to time.

While I expected to see a few names, which I did, I guess I was more surprised by a few names in which I didn't expect, and I am deeply saddened and bothered by these personal revelations. For some, like Katherine Hepburn, it's too late...she passed away within the last few years. For others, they are quickly entering the twilight of their lives, and some on the outside seem like very nice and even some level headed people.

Some comments from interviews really chilled me, and I'll never be able to look at that persons works again in the same light. For example, Amanada Donohoe. I think she is a fine actress, and I've enjoyed some of her previous works, however, in learning she was very outspoken about her atheism and even said she took personal enjoyment (outside from what the script required) from spitting on a crucifix with Jesus on it for a movie role some years ago have now completely turned her off for me.

A few saddened me like Ron Regan Jr., son of former president Ronald Regan. While I believe his dad is with God now, I'm troubled to learn that his current thinking's will have him separated from his father in the hereafter.

Besides being in the absence of God for eternity after death, which in and of itself is a tantamount bummer for me, I also have some selfish reasons for my disappointment: There are some brilliant, fascinating, engaging, charismatic persons on that list I was hoping to meet and share time with in heaven someday. There were a few authors in which I have read their fictional works (ex: Arthur C. Clarke), some actors whose movies I treasure and adore (ex: Jack Nicholson, Ian McKellen), and the chances of me ever meeting them here in my life are nil. Now I fear I will 'never' enjoy any one-on-one time with them.

I'd like to pray for them all, but there is only too much time in the day and my memory is only so big when it comes to recalling so many names.

I'll be honest in saying I did have a few fleeting thoughts that crept into my own mind that began to express doubt about the existence in God and Christ. I must have belief in my own faith, and pray for spiritual strength and encouragement. Maybe I need to search for a list of famous celebrities who do believe in Christ to help asuade my thoughts, for I cannot believe all these people are atheists. How can this be I ask? They are so talented and smart...where do they think these gifts come from?

My immediate concerns are for my own salvation, and then that of my family, and then of my friends, and then of my associates, etc....sorta like an ever expanding sphere with me in the middle. That may seem backwards to some, but it works for me and my mind.

My prayers are simple then, as God knows my heart and knows who I care about....even the celebrities that matter to me. An encompassing prayer that may help them see learn the truth before its too late.

In a way, this whole topic begins to depress me, and weighs heavy on my heart for those who will never even know my own name that they be saved, and it appears there is little chance of that.

No comments: